Saturday 17 November 2012

Chess Update The Rook

Hello there, sorry for another slow update I did explain why last time :3

But anyway heres an update of what I have been working on, like I said before, my chess pieces will make an appearance in the final EPQ video the current pieces I have done are... "Pawn" "Bishop" "King" "Knight" and now presenting the newest piece "The Rook" or for non chess people the castle shaped one.


Heres the reference Image used the same kind of one I used for all the others.


Right away I could tell the top of it was gonna be annoying

The main shape of the piece was easy to do now the top bit was another story well it wasn't as hard as say the top part of the Knight or Bishop piece it was still annoying as I found it hard to cut out the gaps in the top of the piece, in the end I found a way to do this and make it look good all I had to do was slightly change the style of the piece so instead of going with the blocky old look that most chess sets have, my Rook has a rounded top instead which I think looks just as fine.

Heres some renders of the lovely castle.






So on the whole it was one of the faster chess models I have had to make not as quick as the pawn but not as long as the bishop, and also heres a render of the collection so far...

Presenting the chess team...


From left to right: Knight, King, Rook, Pawn, Bishop

Also thanks to my HDR work, I have started rendering normal things with a higher sample count to make the renders much more cleaner and filled with less noise, this will also be helpful in a few weeks time, at my college we have mock interviews coming up and everyone on my games course needs to attend a mock interview for a certain job role, the one I am going for is 3D Artist no surprises there and they want to see a portfolio of my work which will involve some printing out, so the renders need to be a very good quality in order to see them when they are printed, of course this does mean my print credit at college is going to take a beating as printing in colour costs way more than grayscale, well its not much more expensive with the amount I am printing off it could get a bit expensive.


And before I go heres a small test video for the final EPQ format it shows my glassware model spinning 3 times and changing styles from Clay render- to Wireframe overlay to Textured enjoy :D



Till next time

Sources used in this post:
http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkas:Chess_piece_-_Black_rook.JPG











Creative Commons License
Simple Animations by Conor Scott is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment